Tuesday, October 3, 2017

"American Made" good, but shaky

While I enjoyed this movie, there is a technique which is utilized that I absolutely hate: shaky cam. I avoid "found footage" films for this very reason. I can't understand what the shaky camera is all about. Is it to add "tension" to the scene? Is it to give the moviegoer a "you are there" feeling? Is it just artsy-fartsy? I don't know. What I do know is that it really annoys me, and it is used quite a lot in this film. Fortunately, not the entire movie, but nevertheless...

Other than that, this is a nice film. I've known for a long time that the CIA was in up to its ears dealing with arms and drug smuggling over the decades, and this film is about an individual who's was smack dab in the middle of it all during the late 70s and early 80s.

I really don't know how much of this Tom Cruise vehicle was true and how much was Holly wood spin, but the overall effect was quite fun. Cruise has his trademark affability while doing very illegal stuff, and the combination is right on.

I didn't recognize most of the supporting cast, but they all did a great job.

At the end of the film, the government employs a major screw job on one of the characters, and that I believe happened. No doubt.

The insanity of it all is quite a hoot, and this is a worthwhile film to go see.

No comments:

Post a Comment