Wednesday, September 13, 2017

"Girls Trip" a successful journey

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this film. I really wasn't expecting much out of it, but it succeeded in winning me over.

It's an R rated comedy about four BFFs in high school who drift apart for five years and decide to get back together for a trip to New Orleans. As in all these buddy comedies, hilarity ensues, then conflict followed by reconciliation. It getting there that's makes or breaks a film.

This one succeeded for me. I like the fact that the humor was very adult. Most film companies are so worried about getting young teenagers in the seats that the prevailing rating is PG-13 for this kind of film. I have to say a couple of the scatological gags were a bit over the top for me. I didn't find them particularly funny, but, overall, there were some great laughs.

Kudos to the four leads. They worked together very well. Particular praise goes to Tiffany Haddish as the no-nonsense-in-your-face friend. She was terrific. If the reader is curious, the other women in the cast are Regina Hall, Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith. I hadn't realized how short Smith is. According to IMDb, she's five feet tall.

Of course, there was the standard lesson learned be true to yourself message at the end, and in this case, it was very heartfelt and something we can all take to heart. Though I admit I think the message was geared toward women. But men can apply it to themselves as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment