Friday, September 8, 2017

Movie-a-day for only $9.95/mo.

This is really cool. About three weeks ago, a company named "Movie Pass" announced that for only $9.95 a month, you can see a one movie a day every day (They lowered the price from $50/mo.). That's it. For just $9.95 a month.

Well, since I'm retired and walking to two nearby theaters quite frequently, this is manna from Heaven for me. I actually didn't quite believe it. How on Earth can they sustain this?

Of course, I enrolled in the program. The debit card I had to use would be delivered by mail in about a week. After a week, I got an email from the company explaining that due to popular demand (No kidding!), I wouldn't get the card for another two weeks.

I got the card a week later. It even has a MasterCard logo in the corner. The next day, I walked to one of my theaters and tried it out. You have to download the company's app to get started. I launched the app and was asked to give the last four digits of the card. Once that was done, I got a list of movie theaters participating in the program that were in my vicinity (All theaters around my residence are participating) .

Since I was standing in a particular theater, I chose that one. A list of the movies available appeared, and I chose the film (Logan Lucky for a second viewing) and the time. I touched on the button and was taken to a "Confirm" page. I touched the "Confirm" button, and voila! The amount of the ticket was loaded onto the card. I went to the theater's kiosk, swiped the card at the appropriate time and out popped the receipts! Easy-peasy!

Two days later, I went to the other theater I walk to and used it again (The Hitman's Bodyguard for a second viewing). Right now, I've already covered my monthly fee, plus I'm $2.50 ahead. I'm looking forward to utilizing the card two-three times next week.

A word of note: the card is not good for IMAX or 3D movies. Probably special engagements as well.

I really don't understand the business model for this thing, but I'm certainly going to enjoy using their services until they fold (I hope they don't). This is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment